Friday, October 28, 2016

CHARGER NATION: GAME #9





Charger Nation,

            First off I want to congratulate our 5th and 6th grade team for winning last night in the semifinals of their playoffs.  It was a great football game as they won at home.  Next Thursday night they play in the championship game at home at 6pm.  I appreciate those men who lead those boys.  I appreciate the parents for letting their boys play the game of football where so many life lessons are taught and applied.
            Tonight is homecoming at ELCA.  I look forward to seeing some people I have not seen in a while.  We are playing Mount Vernon and they are a much improved football team from years past.  They like to run the football and I know we are excited to play a physical football team tonight.  The weather forecast looks good—should be a great night for football and all the homecoming festivities. 
            We are in game week #9.  These guys have been going at it since the end of July.  We have a lot of injuries and guys banged up.  So does every team at this point.  At this stage in the season everyone is tired.  The great teams know how to push past this with their eyes set on becoming the best team they possible can become.  A great player knows how to push through the monotony and find a way to get better and improve everyday.  A great football player has a tough mind and a strong mind.  A great team has a bunch of individuals who are mentally tough.  And I love football for this reason.  We are teaching young men to push past their comfort zone, to command their bodies to do what it doesn’t want to do, and Win the Day!
            Here is a great quote we were discussing with our players this summer that is now extremely applicable: “Do not let yourself talk to yourself, YOU must talk to yourself.”  When we told the boys this they looked at me like I was stupid which happens a lot.  I challenged the boys to think about what it the quote was saying.   In every person there is a negative force speaking bad thoughts and bad ideas into us.  This force is inside of us—it resides in us.  This person in us we must kill.  It is a part of us so we cannot let our self talk to our self.  We cannot give this person in us a voice.   This voice yells take it easy, your coach is dumb and doesn’t know what he is talking about, don’t work hard, don’t pay attention in class, don’t do your homework, it is everyone else’s fault but your own (blame everyone but yourself), people aren’t treating you fair, please yourself even if it is a sin against God, God’s not really real, and other crazy things.  This voice is in us every single day.  It is whispering.  For some people it is yelling.  The dangerous thing is that for many people, this voice has overcome and become the person. 
            As Christians, we are completely aware of who this other person in me is.  It is sin.  In every person there are two people.  For the Christian, there is Christ who dwells in you and then there is the evilness of the flesh that still exists inside of us.  While we are still here on this earth we will battle this evil inside of us.  For the person that is not a Christian, that person was made in God’s image even if they are rejecting God.  So they have the evilness inside of them but they have this longing inside of them that is for Christ but they do not know it or they have rejected it.  They long for something more but are totally consumed by the sin of flesh.  But still, they understand there is something more and something better.  They search for it but can’t find it because they are looking in the wrong places and filling this longing with the wrong things. 
            I had a friend one time who traveling through Europe to find himself.  As he stood in front of me and I wanted to make a joke, I said I found you, you are right in front of me—don’t waste your money.  This person, he knew who he was in the flesh very well.  He obviously didn’t think that is who he was.  So he wanted to find himself in Europe.  It’s Christ he was looking for but he spent a lot of money in Europe searching for other things.  If you find yourself longing for something more, that what are right now can’t be all that there is: You are right! It is Christ you are searching for! 

            “Abide in me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches.  Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”  John 15:4-5. 

            It all makes sense now.  You cannot let your sinful flesh talk to you and whisper to you.  You cannot listen!  We begin to listen one time and sin begins to overtake us and win us over to itself.  We call this Creeping Softness at ELCA.  People who have been destroyed by sin, began hearing a whisper and feeling a pull from inside.  They gave in once or twice, and then more, and then more.  This sin crept up on them and then overtook them and made the person it indwelled in its slave.  This is why we must talk to our self.  But it isn’t me talking to me.  It’s the Holy Spirit living inside of me talking to me and leading my every step.  I must abide in Christ.  The Bible is clear: For apart from Christ we can do nothing!  We cannot be a man or woman who impacts the world for God’s glory unless we abide in Christ.  Christ must be in use and rule over us.  He must be the voice talking to us.  If not, we will find that the other voice, sin, will creep up and make us its slave.  There is freedom as I make Christ the ruler of my life.  There is only slavery and bondage if I allow my sinful self to rule over me.  Whether you are a Christian or you are not a Christian, sin will always win apart from Christ.   You will always be longing to find yourself if you do not have Christ.  I challenge us all to live a life abiding in Jesus Christ.  For in this is power. 

“The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.” 
Proverbs 21:31

Beat Mount Vernon!

Wholly for Christ,


Coach Gess

No comments:

Post a Comment