Friday, November 16, 2018

CHARGER NATION: PLAYOFF GAME #1

CHARGER NATION: PLAYOFF GAME #1


CHARGER NATION,

            Tonight our playoff journey begins.  Last week we got a bye and got to rest comfortably while a whole bunch of other teams had to fight it out to advance to round 2.  Now it is our turn to play.  We had a remarkable regular season going 9-1 and winning our 9th region championship in a row.  But tonight, just like every other team in the state, we are fighting for survival. There is nothing more exciting for fans than playoffs.  For coaches, our anxiety level gets jolted one hundred percent.  And for the boys, I have yet to figure out what exactly goes on in a teenage boys mind! 

“The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.” Proverbs 21:31

            Every year I start to understand this verse more and more.  This week I have had to really find rest in this verse.  At ELCA, we are extremely diligent to prepare our boys to play in games on Friday night.  We spend a lot of time on the practice field and watching film.  I am a firm believer that you learn by doing.  The more you do something the better you understand it.  We want the boys to get so many reps it becomes muscle memory.  We want to eliminate the processing part of football and just create reactions.  The only way to do this is to take hundreds of repetitions at practice and then watch film consistently.  You get the physical reps and then you get the mental processing.   By Friday it should all just be instantaneous.  Yes, the mind is actually processing information, but it has done it some many times it looks like they are just reacting.
            This week it did not cease to rain and we had to practice indoor on a small field at Mike Cameron’s facility.  I am forever grateful that Mike let’s us use his facility.  He is an awesome guy.  We got a lot done in his facility but we had to cut practice time by an hour and fifteen minutes each day.  We had to cut things out such as special teams practice and anything that requires space.  We could not work on our passing game and we couldn’t work on defending the passing game in the space necessary.  As a coach, there is a sense of panic deep down because this isn’t our process.  This isn’t the way we win.  Everyone just assumes we are going to win on Friday’s but they have no clue the work and preparation that goes into it. 
            This weekend I was getting in panic mode.  I started prepping for the game Saturday.  I should not have done this because once I start watching film I become a wretch to everyone around me until the game plan is done.  That doesn’t happen until Thursday after practice.  Either way, I’m fretting Saturday and then on Sunday trying to come up with a game plan.  Then I look at the weather forecast and it is horrendous.  So I am almost paralyzed in my brain functioning. 
            Uriah always wants to play football.  On Sunday night I have 0 energy and I tell him no.  Well he doesn’t really hear no.  So he is begging me to do something with him.  I say I’ll play a game with him.  He gets out a deck of cards and wants to play war.  I am satisfied with that because all I have to do is lay a card and not think much.  Uriah doesn’t like to lose so he cheats or makes up some silly rule so he can win.  He lays a card and I lay a card that is higher than his.  Instantly he makes up an excuse about I didn’t shuffle the cards correctly.  I couldn’t keep track of what rule or excuse he was making up.  However, I did tell him this: “You gotta play with the cards your dealt.” 
            That comment hit me like a ton of bricks.  I was fretting about the rain and not being able to practice how we like to practice and I repeated to myself: “You gotta play with the cards your dealt.” 
            The next morning I woke up and read my Bible and prayed and thought about the Sovereignty of God.  Ultimately the rain and not being able to practice outside is in God’s hands.  It is my job to take the situation and the circumstances I have been given and make the most out of them.  I decided that morning we will work our tails off at Mike’s and do the best we can with the opportunity we have been given.  We will demand excellence from the boys as we watch film after practice and before school.  As coaches, we will work diligently to have our best game plan of the year.  We will do everything in our power to make the best out of our situation and be thankful for the opportunities we have. 
            I also took rest and comfort in the fact we have worked our tails off all year.  Our boys are well trained and even though we didn’t get the exact practices we would have preferred this week, our boys are well trained and are prepared from previous weeks of practice. 
            And then finally we were able to go up to Lakewood Stadium last night and practice outside and work on our passing game, special teams, and review defensive alignment against space.  And then it was like thirty degrees.  It is hard to keep a teenage boys focused in ideal situations.  When you throw in anything that is out of the ordinary they lose their minds.  Seriously, when a helicopter flies over the practice field you have to give them like 5 minutes to just look at it.  It’s insane.  Yesterday, at one point I have Johnathan Youngblood practicing with his shirt off while the man next to him has his hoodie on so tight he can’t see…..It’s freezing…. I think, “Johnathan’s mom is going to kill me.”  I let it go and we get to work….it is what it is.
            Then everyone wants to debate over where are going to go play tonight.  Just like in politics where we see 50% agree and 50% disagree, so it is any decision made.  I don’t think we realize it but we disagree just to disagree.  It’s in our sin nature.  Either way, you get 80 people in a room and you will get 80 opinions.  Listening to people gripe and complain is paralyzing as well.  My message to the boys: “Here is where we are going.  Get your minds around it!  Have a thankful heart to be able to play on a good field.  Have a great attitude.  Let’s go play ELCA Football!”
            So in all of the chaos this week, I locked in on the things that matter and I took great comfort in Proverbs 21:31.  It is my job to take the hand that I am dealt and to do my absolute best with it.  It is my job to have a great attitude and be thankful for the opportunities I have.  These are commands from the Lord.  Then we must trust and rest in the “victory belongs to the Lord.” 
            This does not mean that God is going to give you victory if you do everything right.  It means God is in control of everything.  You can do everything right and you might not get the results you want.  God may have other plans.  He may allow adversity to show you something that will make you more successful in the future.  He might just allow you to fail because you need a good humbling experience.  We do not know God’s ways and plans, but we do know He is Sovereign and in control of all things.  He has commanded us to work and do our best but he has also made it clear He is in control.  I find great rest in this Truth!
            The question we must ask ourselves is do we trust God.  I know we say we do but do we really trust him?  Do we believe in the Sovereign God of the universe? The God who spoke life into existence?  The God who created the world so big not even the most powerful telescope can see the ends of the universe?  This God who saw our hopeless state headed towards death and hell and sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for our sins that we may have eternal life in Heaven?  If we do believe in this all-powerful God who loved us so much he died for us, surely we can rest in the fact that my times are in his hands.  Yes, I will work diligently to my best.  And Yes, I will trust Christ in all of my situations and circumstances knowing my times are in his hands. 

WIN Playoff Game #1!!!!!!!

The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.” Proverbs 21:31

Wholly for Christ,


Coach Gess

No comments:

Post a Comment