Friday, August 31, 2018

CHARGER NATION: GAME #3


Charger Nation,

            I want to congratulate our middle school team on beating Pace last night.  Pace is the team that beat us last week so I’m glad our middle school could make things right (in a small way at least).  Tom Mertz is the head coach and does a fantastic job with those boys.  I see many good players on that team and look forward to coaching them in the future. 

            Tonight we have Heritage High School in Conyers.  They are a school very close to ELCA and I am excited to play the game tonight.  They are a AAAAAA school and have very talented players and big players as well.  (Some of you don’t understand all the A’s-The more students a school has in its student body the more A’s they get.  We are single A because we have 360 students in high school.  They are AAAAAA because they have roughly 2,000 students in high school.  It makes a difference because you have more boys to choose from to play football.  That is why there are different classifications.) Their best player on offense on film is #13.  He is a wide receiver who won the state AAAAAA high jump champion.  He is a great athlete and they want the ball in his hands.  And if he gets the ball he can score at any time.  On defense their best player is #53.  He plays noseguard and very good.  He is disruptive.  They have many good players but those are two to watch. 

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces stead-fastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” James 1:2-4

            Every Friday night that we have a game I know it is an opportunity for me to represent Christ.  My goal in life is to live for Jesus Christ:  To serve and live for him well.  I always pray that I would be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.   I was really enjoying the humble in victory part.  That is easy.  I would walk across the field and say good job coach and try and say a positive word to players that played well.  I would say there was zero challenge in being humble in victory (on the surface anyway.)
            But last week God gave me the opportunity to be gracious in defeat.  What does that mean?  To be gracious in defeat means to show honor to the team that beat you.  It is hard to do.  I am a sinful man.  My flesh rages against showing another team honor or another coach honor.  What I want to do in defeat is blame everyone in the world for the loss.  Our flesh tells us it’s not our fault.  Our indwelling sin tells us to blame everyone else.  But the Holy Spirit whispers, “Die to your sinful self and show honor to the other team because it is due to them.”  The Holy Spirit convicts me to make no excuse and to take ownership.  I obey but it hurts.
            I often say that football is a microcosm of life.  In one season you go through winning and losing just like life.  In one season you go through adversity and affliction just like life.  Rather it be winning or losing a football game, a young man winning or losing a starting position, there are many trials and challenges over the course of a season.  A player and coach will feel many different emotions.  There will be circumstances to be high and circumstances to be low.  How a person manages these emotions and circumstances will dictate the overall success he will have.  Just like life, football season is a journey; it is not a one-time event.  The goal is to have a successful journey, to finish the journey well.  In any journey that is worth talking about there will be trials and triumphs.  There will be many circumstances that cause man to quit and give in.  However, it is the steadfast man who will prevail.  It is the steadfast man that will finish well. 
            Many people will say that God doesn’t care about football and it is just a game.  I would agree with them.  However, what God does care about is his children.  For those who love God, who have surrendered their life to him, who follow him whole heartedly, we are children of God.  And, as his children, God is intimately involved in our lives.  Football is what I do.  It is important to me because it is what I have been called to do as a means to build men for Jesus Christ.  I do not coach everyday for us to lose.  I do not work diligently everyday on practice plans and film study so that we may go out and make mistakes on Friday night.  We work 80-100 hours a week and it is not to lose. 
            Being a Christian, I believe in the Sovereign hand of God.  I believe that every situation and circumstance I find myself in is from God.  I am fully responsible for my actions and yet God is Sovereign over them all.  I do not understand how this works but it is clear in scripture it all is true.  I came before the Lord all weekend last week and I’m fully taking ownership for my responsibility in the loss but praying to the Lord to show me what I need to learn from the loss.  I know my mistakes caused the loss and I know God is sovereign and allowed many things to happen and not happen on that night for us to lose.  On the take ownership side of things I’m watching film and studying what I did wrong and where I can become a better coach.  On the spiritual side I’m praying and asking God to show me what I need to see about myself through that loss.  And this is life, right?  It may not be football, but we find ourselves in this predicament a lot. 
            Since the loss and this day, it is clear to me that God is constantly working in his people to be steadfast.  As I prayed yesterday morning the definition of steadfast became clear.  It gave me peace and unwavering confidence.  I don’t know what this world has for me but I live life in total confidence in Jesus Christ.  I will end this with my final thoughts on the loss that I wrote down.  These thoughts are from the Holy Spirit and a guide for me on how to live life, a lesson in steadfastness.  God doesn’t promise worldly success in this life, but he does promise us that in Him we will overcome the world. 

“The lesson: to remains steadfast.  Christ’s love for me is unchanging.  He loves me.  I have eternal life through the blood of Jesus Christ.  I am a son of God through Christ.  The Lord will never leave me or forsake me.  As the Lord’s love for me is and pursuit of me is unchanging, steadfast; my devotion, trust and faith in him is to be steadfast.   My pursuit of Christ and my love for Christ and my faith in Christ cannot waver based upon my worldly circumstances.  No, either in life or death, riches or poverty, winning or losing, Christ is my ALL in ALL.  I will be confident; I will be strong in Christ.  I will be steadfast in my successes and in my failures.  Walk with me Lord.  Come what may, my faith is strong as it is rooted in Christ and what he has done.  Me, myself, I am not strong.  Be strong in the Lord.  Put your hope in the Almighty God of the Universe.  Do you trust me? Do you believe in me?  Rest in me!  Whatever may come your way, go with Confidence: I will be with you. “

We have had a phenomenal week of practice.  Our boys have been steadfast through affliction.  I love their attitudes and their spirit.  This is one of the most pleasant teams I have coached in a while.  I don’t care what happened last week and I don’t care what happens tonight.  They are winners.  We will keep chopping.  We will never give in.  Come what may, our strength is in the Lord.  Let’s get after it tonight and have fun!

Beat Heritage!

“The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord!”
Proverbs 21:31

Wholly for Christ!


Coach Gess

No comments:

Post a Comment