Friday, October 20, 2017

CHARGER NATION: GAME #8



            Game #8 is upon us.  I am grateful because it finally feels like fall (barely) as we approach the last part of our football season.  Tonight is homecoming.  There are a lot of things happening tonight but we have one focus in our minds: Winning a football game!   The boys have had a great week of practice this week.  They have responded to our challenges.  They have improved.  Our JV had a huge win over Mays last night.  I am excited to watch our boys play tonight.  They are ready.
            This week I read an article or a blog called Glory Thief. (I have it linked at the bottom if you would like to read it.)  The article discusses how we as Christians steal the glory that belongs to God.  We have been made in the image of God for God’s glory:  God has crafted everything about us.  Any talents or abilities we have we did not create.  We may have developed or cultivated these abilities, but we did not create them.  In any success we have we are to instantly thank God and point everyone back to him.  If we are good at anything, it is because God has given us the ability. 
            I instantly thought of the farmer who works very hard at producing a great crop.  He has a great year and he goes and boasts of how smart he is in his preparation of the crops.  He tells everyone of his insatiable work ethic and that is why he has success.  What a fool.  Did he make the rain?  Did he create the dirt?  Did he give himself the ability to work hard?  For what if it didn’t rain?  What if he was born with a disability not allowing him to work 20 hours a day?  What if you bought a piece of property that was not fertile?
            I think about the Surgeon.  They tell us how hard the worked in medical school.  Then all the hours they worked in their residency.   They boast of all their hard work and their diligence.  Now they are just reaping from all of their hard work.  You fool.  God gave you that amazing mind!  Yes you studied hard but you were born with above average intelligence and God gave you that. 
            I think about LeBron James.  I like him.  He seems like an awesome guy.  They call him King James.  He very much is a King in our world.  He has more influence than anyone I am sure.  But King James.  Did you make yourself 6’9”?  When you were in the womb did you decide to give yourself athleticism that is second to none?  Yes you worked hard to cultivate your abilities, but you were touched from birth by God.  And had you been born in any other country chances are you wouldn’t be a big hit because only in America do we idolize football and basketball.  Your abilities and skills are just what the American people crave.  But God gave you those things and God had you born right here right now. 
            I give these examples for myself.  Because I am the chief of glory thieves.  Sometimes my flesh and Satan roar: “Look at what you have done!”  But the Holy Spirit living inside of me quietly resets my focus: “No!  Look at what I have done.  Do not take what is mine.”  Yes Lord.  Forgive me.  Forgive me for trying to rob you of your glory.  All things are made by you, through you, and for you.  Yes you command us to work hard and maximize the ability that you have given us.  But we are not to do it so that we can be exalted.  We are to do it so that we can glorify our Father in Heaven:  “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in Heaven.”  Matthew 5:16
            There is freedom in giving everything to God.  First of all it’s his to begin with.  But when we become glory thieves we will find that we can never get enough.  We will be enslaved to the praise and approval of man.  It will drive us.  We might during a season of our lives get the glory from man.  It will never be enough.  We will chase it more and more but it will be just for a season and it will pass.  Then what?  We will still be enslaved to glory.  We will desperately continue to chase it.  We will do anything to get it. 
            There is hope.  Lay down your life at the feet of Jesus Christ.  I am yours Lord.  I acknowledge that you have created all of me and if I am good at anything it is for your glory.  I am to work hard at developing the talents you have given me but I am never to own them.  My talents are yours.  You gave them to me.  Now I am free Lord.  As I lay down my life at your feet and surrender all to you I know that you are sovereign and are in control of all of my life.  I can have peace and rest because I am living to please the Almighty God of the universe.  And as long as I do my very best and glorify Jesus Christ with my actions and my lips God is pleased.  And this is all that matters in life.  Man’s praise is fleeting.  God’s satisfaction is what I crave.  It is eternal.  It is never ending.  We can have all of it right now.  I find it through Jesus Christ. 

Beat Strong Rock!!

“The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.”
Proverbs 21:31 ESV

Wholly for Christ,

Coach Gess

GLORY THIEF

https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/thabitianyabwile/2017/10/17/glory-thief/

No comments:

Post a Comment