Friday, August 18, 2017

CHARGER NATION GAME #1



            Game #1 is finally here.  Tonight we start a gauntlet of a tough four game out of region schedule.  But I am excited about it because playing good teams makes us better.  Tonight--Eagle’s Landing looks to have a good team from the film we have seen.  Last week they played against one of the top tailbacks in the state and they shut him down.  I know they are hungry to play us after we beat them convincingly last year.  In fact, this will be the case in every game we play this year.  Each team will want revenge from last year’s loss to us.  We are playing very talented teams each week and every week we must bring out best.  It begins tonight.
            There are many Bible verses that I use in our football program but one that you always see on gameday is Proverbs 21:31: “The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.”  As a Christian, I understand God is Sovereign.  This means he is in control of all things.  He is God.  Nothing happens without him allowing it to happen.  With this logic, we can then conclude that we do not need to do anything because God is sovereign, and what is to be will be.  We don’t need to work too hard because God is going to do what God is going to do.  The football coach could begin to think that he doesn’t need to prepare and coach too hard because God is sovereign.  As a Christian, I don’t need to talk about Jesus too much because if God wants to save someone he will; He is Sovereign. 
            There is danger on the other side as well.  If I do not believe that God is sovereign, then I believe I am in control of everything.  This is a very dangerous belief because in success I glorify myself and in failure I blame others. 
            You have heard many people say let go and let God.  Proverbs 21:31 speaks against this logic.  The first part of the verse says, “The horse is made ready for battle.”   Think about how important a war horse was to a warrior back in those days.   I am sure 1000’s of hours was spent training the horse and then training on the horse.  The command is clear to me:  Work your tail off preparing for battle.  At ELCA, we have a process in which we believe will prepare us most to win.  We practice hard, we workout everyday and we make our boys watch film.  We demand excellence from them at practice and demand they do it the ELCA Way.  There is no shortcut to becoming all we can be.  Becoming better is requires discipline, pain and sacrifice.  Although they try and revolt sometimes, we demand excellence!  God commands us to do everything in our power to control the variables we can control.  He commands we work hard.  We know the toil is going to be grueling because of sins stain in this world (Gen 3:17-19).  We must embrace the hard work.  We must begin to expect the world to be hard, then embrace that hard work, and then rest in the satisfaction of pushing through and working hard.  We must do everything in our power to “Prepare the horse for battle.” 
            Then we have the second part of the verse: “but the victory belongs to the Lord.”  It is my job to work my tail off and do my very best, but I must rest in the fact that God has the final say.  He is in control.  No matter how hard a I work I cannot ever thwart the will of God.  And in a win or a loss, success or failure, God has a plan and a purpose and a teaching moment.  See God’s ultimate goal is not our winning or our success.  God’s ultimate goal is molding us into men and women who bring him Glory.  God’s goal is not ELCA to win a state championship or ELCA to be the best school on the planet.  God’s goal is that all of his people grow and become more and more like him.  God’s goal is not to give me what I believe I need in the flesh: Wins, money, fame, glory, worldy success….No-God’s goal is to make us more like him.  God’s goal is his glory and he is glorified when we become more like him. 
            When I type Proverbs 21:31, “The horse is made ready for battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord,” I always feel God is telling me something like this:  “You better work your tail off in the job I have given you.  It is your duty to your very best because as a Christian you represent me.  But don’t you ever forget, I am in control.  Don’t ever think you are in control.  I am God and you are the creature.  You have life because I will it.  Your heart beats because I command it to do so.  I am the King and you are the servant.  I am the Father and I have adopted you in as a son by my blood.  Yes I command you to work diligently and give your all.  But I have the final say because I am God.  And you can rest in this.  My purpose and my passion is my glory.  My purpose and my passion is that you grow in Jesus Christ.  I will use every situation, whether it be good or bad for you at the moment, for the eternal good.  Work hard.  Trust in me.  Rest in me.”
            We have busted our tails this week.  We have pushed and pushed and worked hard diligently following the ELCA process to victory.  I can confidently say the Horses are ready for battle.  They are eager to get out there and play.  And I rest in God’s sovereignty: “But victory belongs to the Lord.” 

“The horse is made ready for battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.” Proverbs 21:31

Beat Eagle’s Landing!

Wholly for Christ!


Coach Gess

No comments:

Post a Comment