Friday, December 9, 2016

CHARGER NATION: State Championship Game

Charger Nation,

I praise God that he allows us to have competition.  It is so much fun.  We are all so excited today and have great anticipation because no one has a clue who is going to win.  I sit around worried, anxious, and excited.  It’s a really messed up state.  One second I can be paralyzed with fear of their quarterback and then the next second I’m excited about seeing our boys play.  What would life be without these feelings?  Competition is great.  It makes life so much more fun!  In fact, now that college football is coming to an end, I will be so bored on Saturdays.             
As we wake up this morning and get ready to head to the game, I know that both teams have great anticipation for this game.  Both teams desperately want to win and receive the trophy at the end of the game.  I know that boys from both sides sit around and think about the ring they will get if they win.  (**There will be no rings given at ELCA for 2nd place!)  Being able to play in the Georgia Dome is a reward in itself.  Chasing after winning and the reward that awaits the victor makes life pretty fun and an interesting.

            “Every athlete exercises self-control in all things.  They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.”
                                                                                    1 Corinthians 9:25
           
            This morning I woke up with this verse in my mind.  In life, we all work so hard to achieve the perishable wreath.  Believe me, I do not think chasing after the perishable wreath is in vain or a bad thing.  God wants us to work hard and glorify him through our work.  However, it is when the perishable wreath becomes our God, or our Idol, that it becomes a destructive thing.  Because of the sinful pride that resides in us all, we chase after worldly trophies to glorify ourselves.  Whether it is a trophy, a wreath, money, or material possessions, we want these things to signify how great we are.  We want glory and we can never get enough of it.  Our trophies or our bank accounts prove how great we are.  We can’t get enough because we can’t enough of ourselves.  This is when the pursuit of winning, trophies, and money has become a destructive force.  When they own me they become sin.  When they become the reason I exist I have clearly begun to worship these things and myself. 
            I want the boys to have a great time today and I want to win worse than anyone.  But I also want the boys to understand that all of this is perishable.  With that verse on my mind this morning, I realize God was whispering to me: “realize on what is actually important.”  To win football games, to win trophies, to become rich: we do not exist for these things.  These things will not bring us everlasting peace and happiness.  They will give joy for a moment but it will be fleeting.  We will be chasing something else tomorrow.  I want the boys to understand that to pursue winning and to pursue success are not bad things, but they are perishable things: Do not build your hope on things that are fleeting and perishable. 
            As Christians, we can be sure that our pursuit of Jesus Christ is the pursuit of the imperishable wreath.  As a football team, we work so hard to try and win and receive the perishable trophy.  As Christians, we should be willing to pay the same price in our pursuit of Jesus Christ.  But Jesus promises it will not be in vain, for the victors in Christ will receive an imperishable wreath: Eternal Life. 

“The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.”     
                                                                                                Proverbs 21:31


BEAT Fellowship Christian!

Wholly for Christ,

Coach Gess


No comments:

Post a Comment