Friday, October 9, 2015

CHARGER NATION: GAME #7

Charger Nation,

            We are fired up to play football after having a week off last week.  As we head into region play we are beginning a new season.  These games are going to determine our path in the playoffs and prepare us for the playoffs.  It is imperative we continue to get better each day, and therefore, each Friday night.  I have discussed many times with our team that the teams that are still standing in the semifinals and finals are the teams that continued to get better each day at this point during the season. 
            We have now been practicing for ten weeks.  It is human nature to start to coast.  People get in their mind that this is what they are and this is all they can be.  The word is complacency.  I call it creeping softness.  As a football team and as coaches we must rage war against that mentality.  Every single day that God gives us is an opportunity to get a little bit better.  
            As I go throughout the week I do not think much of the other team besides what we get off film with their offensive formations and plays and then the defense they run.  My mind is 100 percent focused on our execution and on us getting better.   I could feel awful on Wednesday because we didn’t improve on Tuesday.  It has nothing to do with Friday night.  It has everything to do with us improving daily.  If we are going to be any good, getting better each day is all that matters.   
            We call this "Win the Day" which I talk about all the time.
On Wednesday, Coach Graham was coaching the scout dline and spotting the ball for me.  I like to move the ball around and I kept telling him put it here and then here and I had him lost.  He jokingly (I think) said “I feel like I can’t get it right and give you what you want.” Our oline quickly said: “welcome to our world.” 
            I looked up rushing yardage through 6 games from the seasons 2010-2015.  Only one year did we have more rushing yardage through 6 games than we do this year.  2011 we had 1521 and this year we have 1482.  **Just to give you a reference point this time last year we had 882.  Our oline isn’t doing a bad job but they can always do a better job.  We can play lower, we can have better feet, and we can execute our assignments better.  All the other positions are the same.  I don’t care whether we are having a good year or not, we must get better!
           
“Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own.  But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 3: 12-14

            The Christian’s biggest failure is NOT living each day as Winning the Day for Jesus Christ.  Just like as a coach I am to push this team towards perfection everyday and demand it from them, it is so much more important I do this daily in my pursuit of Jesus Christ.  My oline thinks I hate them sometimes because they aren’t perfect and nothing could be further from the truth.  I am going to demand from them that they do it right.  To neglect to correct flaws would not love them.  By identifying and correcting problem areas I am helping achieve their goals Friday night.  It’s with great love I address their flaws.  To not demand excellence is the greatest form of neglect!
God doesn’t reject us when he sees our failures, but his disappointment comes when we lack the desire to pursue him and put on the character of Jesus Christ.  He is disappointed when we begin to chase after the world and make Jesus the puppet master our wishes and dreams. 
            God wants us to chase perfection but he knows we will never get there.  If we could get there by our own effort then there would be no need for Jesus Christ as our Savior.  He would not have had to come and pay for our sins and become righteousness for us. 
            As we watched film Wednesday morning the oline knew they stunk on Tuesday.  But as we reflected on our Tuesday failures (mostly in effort) we were entering a new day.  It was time to put the bad day behind us and look forward to the opportunity to get better that day.  Just because I failed yesterday doesn’t mean I must fail today.  Every single day is a battle in itself. 
            Paul speaks the same language in our walk with Christ.  I don’t care what you did yesterday, what your past looks like, or how big your sin is: “but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” 
            I pray we all have this mentality as we pursue Jesus Christ.  There is no greater example of love than Jesus Christ.  He knew we needed to be saved so he saved us.  He knew we would continually fail so he became righteousness for us.  He wants our hearts and when we give him our hearts, our hearts desire will be to do his will and bring him honor and glory. 
           
BEAT Strong Rock!!

“The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.” Proverbs 21:31

Wholly for Christ!

Coach Gess

No comments:

Post a Comment