Friday, September 11, 2015

CHARGER NATION: GAME #4

Charger Nation: Game #4


Charger Nation,

Here is a verse that Coach Dallas loves to quote which has resonated with me since he has been here:

“for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”  Nehemiah 8:10

**To have this joy is a daily WAR!

            This has been a crazy week because it has been homecoming week.  I believe the boys have had fun with it and I know everyone is looking forward to tonight.  Usually you are supposed to play a bad team for homecoming, but we don’t have a bad team on our schedule.  Mt. Pisgah is a good team and they beat us last year.   But we are focused and ready.  Three of the five starters who were out last week are back and should be able to go tonight.  I’m excited to play this game tonight against a team that we need to be able to beat if we are a state championship caliber team.
            In the life of a coach, losing takes one to the bottom emotionally and physically.  I know everyone in their particular careers face this same issue.  I don’t care who we lose to or how good they are or the circumstances as to why we lose, I am way down after a loss.  Dangerous thoughts creep into the mind: “I’m a loser;” “I can’t do this;” “I’m a failure;” “We aren’t doing the right things;” you get the point of the stuff that enters into the mind. 
            As I play with Uriah he is getting old enough to get very aggravated when he can’t do something.  We were throwing in the backyard and he got real aggravated that he couldn’t catch the ball and started saying and crying that he couldn’t.  He even gets mad at me when I throw a bad pass (they actually are catchable passes he just is learning he is a center like his daddy—tough lesson.)  As a Daddy it made me mad that he wasn’t saying he couldn’t…we will just keep trying!  I don’t care if he can catch the ball or not, but I do care if he thinks he can’t.  I do care if he quits trying.  I do not want to hear negativity coming from him. 
            In the same way but so much more we have a Father who loves us and cares for us and does not want to hear us say negative things.  He does not want the seed of doubt to enter our minds. As I woke up wallowing in self pity on the inside for our loss against GAC the Holy Spirit convicted me with these thoughts: “Get over yourself.”  That thought turned into me praying: “Lord, strip me of myself.”  You see, one of the problems with all of us is we are prideful.  I’m wallowing in self-pity Saturday morning because I am embarrassed.  When I fail at the job everyone knows it and everyone sees.  In fact, everyone critiques it.   I take great pride in winning and probably have the exact opposite feeling when we lose.
            I’m not wallowing in self-pity to the extent of depression and locking myself up.  No, I function rather well but I do not have joy and I certainly do not have joy in the gifts that God has given me.  My little boy wants to wake up Saturday morning and jump on the trampoline with his dad who he doesn’t see very much or play racecars.  He could care less if we won or lost and, in reality, most people don’t care.  I need to get over myself and enjoy the time I have with my little boy and my family.  God has given me great gifts but my pride and my ego destroy my joy in the great gifts God has given me.
            So I stood their convicted and praying, “Lord, strip me of myself.”  It was freeing to pray this prayer.  It was like the ropes that were entangling me choking me started to loosen their grip.  I came back to the verse that I love so dearly:

“I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”             
                                                                                                           Galatians 2:20. 

If I have been crucified in and with Christ, then my pride and my ego don’t exist anymore.  In fact, my pride and my ego are now in Christ.  Christ is the reason I live and Christ is in what I will boast.  So when I wake up Saturday morning and we have lost, I need to claim Christ who is the one who has conquered death.  I am never a loser in Jesus Christ.  He is the All-Powerful Savior of the world.  He controls all things.  When we lose it is for my good and our teams good because he promises to work out all things for our good.  He is my Hope and my Trust.  In success and in failure I can be a man of strength and courage because my strength and courage does not lie in my power, but in the power of Jesus Christ. 
            In life I do not control much.  God has given each of us complete control into the effort we put into things and the attitude with which we approach those things.  But we do not control the outcome.  A farmer can do everything correctly but he does not control the rain.  I think it is important that we have great joy in the toil God has given us and trust in him with great anticipation.  And even in failure always have great anticipation of what is to come.  Never give up!  Never let the seed of doubt set in and take over.  It will whisper, but claim Christ and kill it!   We must stand firm and never give up due to failure or become prideful in success.  Never be too high in success or too low in failure with the things here on earth; but always take great pride in the things of Jesus Christ.  If we want joy here on this earth that does not revolve around our circumstances then we must die to ourselves and live in Jesus Christ. 
            Just as my pride can be wrapped up in my performance Friday night, I often see dads whose pride is wrapped up in the success or failure of their son on Friday night.  I feel great sadness for their sons.  Their sons are learning that their Dad’s joy is in their success.  Can you imagine how paralyzing this is for high school boys?  They are learning that their Dad’s happiness in them or just overall joy revolves around their performance in a game.  I know Dad’s don’t mean to do this but it is the unintended consequence of pride.  As I have a two year old I see how not only can my pride kill me, but it can kill the spirit of my Son.  I pray daily God will strip me of myself not so I just don’t destroy my spirit, but my little boys as well.  We must learn to not put our happiness into on the field performance, but rather the day-to-day effort and attitude our boys put forth in their pursuit of excellence.  We must learn to put our pride in their pursuit of Christ and the overseeing of this process.  We must learn to love our boys for the young men God has made them and not what we so desperately want them to be.  It will be freeing for our sons and our personal souls!  Since it is so easy for us to be blind to our pride, we must walk vigilantly with our eyes on Christ, not on this world. 
            Therefore, after having died to my prideful self and living in Christ, I run to this game tonight with great anticipation and excitement.  I will have great joy in this day God has given me.  And win or lose tonight, I will wake up tomorrow fighting for humility if we win and joy if we lose because who I am is not wrapped up in what I do but in Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ: This is where steadfast joy, strength and courage exist!  He destroys the bonds of sin that entangle us and gives us new life.  In Christ there is freedom. 

Win the Day!

“The horse is made ready for Battle, but victory belongs to the Lord.”
Proverbs 21:31

Wholly for Christ!

Coach Gess 

No comments:

Post a Comment